MattA

Missing or wrong codguid

Hello,

I recently purchased a Shadow gaming instance to allow me to play CoD4 on without having to go to the expense of a new PC at home and this is mostly working.

My laptop has CoD4 installed purely to check the functionality of servers I host and isn't viable for playing the game on. When I try to play from my Shadow instance I get the following warning in my game logs and I am unable to use anything associated with B3.

'Missing or wrong CodGuid and PunkBuster is disabled: cannot authenticate!'

My Shadow instance is, AFAIK, a standard Windows 10 installation on a hypervisor with a GPU passed through to it. I have installed the game exactly the same as on my laptop but it behaves differently insisting Steam is running and uses my steamid as my playerid/guid which is not a valid codguid. I have reinstalled the game, the Windows 10 instance, copied the whole installation instance from my laptop and even copied files from my Linux game servers all to no avail. I have tried various iterations of authorizemode, legacyguid and steam modes found between the forums and github issues but nothing appears to resolve the issue.

I'm skeptical about just purchasing the game from Steam thinking it is likely to have the same issue and would prefer not to do that since it works on my laptop and has worked since I purchased the original retail disc.

Any ideas what I may have done wrong or can anyone offer any insights on how the guid is generated in cod4x and presented to servers? I'm happy to discuss this in private messages or via Discord if required.

Regards,
Matt.

It looks like that hypervisor doesn't emulate proper hardware it seems. I had the same issue with my own gaming virtual machine, as I don't daily drive Windows anymore. playerID generates from certain hardware ID's, looks like that is missing.
What I would suggest, try a cracked copy of CoD4 to play, and see what happens.
I had issues with anti-cheat, more precisely Battleye won't let me join games, but I was able to fix it, because I have access to the hypervisor.

Shadowplay in the other hand I have never experienced, may have to look up in the future, just to see how it works, but as most games nowdays, hypervisors are most likely banned from gaming.

But if you have really low-end hardware, you may try out daily drive some sort of Linux, as CoD4 runs just fine on Linux also.

Hi Alex,

I was thinking it was down to the VM and something not being exposed to the OS. It looks like you are right on the money with hardware IDs not being populated. I'm a Linux person by trade not Windows so after a lot of Googling I came across this:

cmd.exe wmic csproduct get UUID

Running it on any hardware based machine I have access to with Windows install it is populated however, the Shadow VM isn't so I suspect this is the root cause of all the problems I am having. I'll see what I can work out with the VDI provider.

Regards,
Matt.