/>

PSA: The absolute state of cheating in COD4

I apologize if this isn't the right place for this thread and feel free to move it and I also apologize for my poor English since it's not my first language and I'd also like to apologize for my bloggy/long post.

A month ago I got that COD4 itch again and decided to install the game to have some fun and maybe to re-live the old days. First day of playing I noticed a lot of players were hitting shots they shouldn't hit, getting kills they shouldn't get, and killing 100hp players with one body hit from an AK, AKU, or Deagle in promod. At first I brushed it off as player lag, server lag, killcam bug, server issues, you know.. the usual innocent justifications we tell ourselves in these situations, Except these weren't a one off thing but instead a consistent occurrent and not limited to one or two servers.

Some players were accusing the players I described above with cheating which is 1) reasonable. and 2) they were. but those players and admin kept saying "clean SS" which is when I learned about the COD4X SS brilliant feature but also the reason I am making this thread, since that feature combined with killing roccat silent aim seems to have made some server admins lazy and stupid.

After a week of experimenting with settings, servers, a different ISP, and leaving no stone unturned (I went as far as introducing fps lag, connection lag, and packet loss) I couldn't reproduce a single kill with one hit on 100hp player, The closest I got was killing players with two hits but they already took fall damage and/or had been tagged by other players. I already knew it wasn't possible without cheating (maybe one in million if the stars align) but I had to make sure to satisfy my curiosity.

I have no experience writing code and I have never made a 'Hello world' type of 'program' before let a lone a cheat for a game and I managed to make a silent aim type cheat in a week using the source code of an old cheat, Google, and YouTube, Now imagine what an experienced person can make! So I joined the same servers but this time with the cheat on and the admins present and I was accused of cheating multiple times which I confirmed in chat every time and the admin proceeded to SS me multiple times and declare me clean and assumed my "Yes" response to people asking me if I'm cheating was just ironic.

I went from sitting in the middle of the scoreboard to top fragging and carrying maps till I left the server, and I wasn't even using my sound ESP since the beeps were distracting and annoying when I tested it againist bots. I proceeded to do the same thing on the rest of the servers for weeks and like clockwork it went exactly like the first server (get accused of cheating > get SS'd > get declared clean > repeat) for few days, then players started calling me "Pro".

A player consistently sitting at the middle of the scoreboard that magically starts top fragging, carrying, and almost never loses a gun fight and the admins don't find that fishy? Do they think I just bought a gaming chair? Where's their logical thinking when they see a player with 100ms+ ping deleting 20ms ping players when they should be running circles around me without me being able to hit them?

Servers I've done this on and seen many people who had the same type of cheat: SD1 Pakistan hosting, Pakproness, EP promod, Bot promod, RS promod, Ebc promod, Up promod, and other promod TDM servers. All of these servers have players using similar cheat that achives the same results.

Keep in mind I'm a stranger to these players and admins, Just a random player who they don't know and never seen before, Imagine what you could get away with if you were friends with them as long as you had "clean SS", from deagle macros to locking onto players through walls and shaking it off.. 

So please don't just rely on the SS feature and instead spectate, investigate, and use your game knowledge and logical thinking, don't be lazy, The SS feature is just a tool to help you and make your life a bit easier banning low effort and obvious cheaters, not the be-all end-all. and most importantly don't blame COD4X devs for it, Games with more developers, huge budgets, and better Anti-Cheat measures like CSGO, Valorant, Rust, and all the recent COD game for that matter are all plagued with cheaters at the highest levels.

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.

• Like 1

Interesting reading, thank you. It reflects kinda what I was thinking for a long time already about cheating in CoD4 X. Yes initially when I brought in quite some counter cheating facilities, game seemed to be pretty clean of cheaters. But nowadays everything is bypassed. A new (real) anti cheat is still a work in progress. However I lack motivation for the recent months. That why this project is kinda stalled. Everything else is stalled as well since the anti cheat has first priority.

Shooting 1 player in 1 hit is probably not possible, however I assume you can combine a lot of bullets into a ultra short burst.

all valid points and i want to add that the identified laziness may also just be a technical misinterpretation. it's also often hard for clans to get get reliable and fairly acting admins, hence why strict rules for banning might be in place. "only ban if there is clear evidence"

8 hours ago, /> said:

I couldn't reproduce a single kill with one hit on 100hp player,

a reason for this might be that even servers which are seemingly "pure" might still be modded and inflicted damage could differ in that case.

In regards of eBc, we don't rely on the ss feature at all tbh, as its a fact that there are ss cleaners, at least for private cheats for now which is good, mostly Its still manual labor, but you have to also understand if you were to ban everyone who is odd, the server would get empty real quick. Demo and spectating is still the best method but yeah it takes time, if we can't decide even after demo review we assign moss anticheat, although probably it can be bypassed as well but it still helps out, you can also clearly see the difference for some players the moment they have something monitoring them constantly and giving out attached processes to the game and overall.

As for the damage part, you can always report that to admins if you notice something odd, on eBc the damage is increased by 2 exactly to prevent most scope tags, as for ak, aku that shouldn't be possible normally, if you noticed something like that on eBc, please give me return info as it will defo help to be aware of it and possibly add some checks code wise. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fraggy said:

A new (real) anti cheat is still a work in progress. However I lack motivation for the recent months. That why this project is kinda stalled. Everything else is stalled as well since the anti cheat has first priority.

Fantastic news, as long as it raises the barrier to entry so someone with no experience making cheats like myself can't get away with it that easy, that will have a big impact, Good luck 👍

10 hours ago, Fraggy said:

Shooting 1 player in 1 hit is probably not possible, however I assume you can combine a lot of bullets into a ultra short burst.

I don't know how they do it, but anyone that's not trying to be that blatant wouldn't go as far as making it that obvious. Even with my very rudimentary cheat, I was killing players with 2-3 SMG shots consistently and if you were to spectate me while I was using the cheat, It's still not obvious that I was cheating since the damage math adds up in promod, an SMG chest hit from 25 meter in promod is 30hp give or take, so me going full auto killing players in 3 hits seems 'normal' on paper, but in reality the hit reg isn't that consistant and I'm sure everyone had their fair share of tagging a player to oblivion only for them to turn around and kill you when they should've been dead a second ago.

9 hours ago, dpj said:

i want to add that the identified laziness may also just be a technical misinterpretation.

9 hours ago, dpj said:

a reason for this might be that even servers which are seemingly "pure" might still be modded and inflicted damage could differ in that case.

I thought of that at first but what got me to dismiss it was it didn't seem logical to me that some players were getting this hit/damage consistency and other majority didn't even come close and I observed it across different servers (all promod 219 and 220, I don't know if this happens in vanilla servers since I only played promod), If the owner intentionally messed with the server and/or mod, then the results should be experienced by the majority of the players or if the scripting was poor and causing hit/damage registration issues, then it should also be experienced by majority of the players.

6 hours ago, Kreator said:

In regards of eBc, we don't rely on the ss feature at all tbh, as its a fact that there are ss cleaners, at least for private cheats for now which is good, mostly Its still manual labor,

Demo and spectating is still the best method but yeah it takes time, if we can't decide even after demo review we assign moss anticheat

Then I should've been banned there from day one since I played while there were players with eBc tags which I assume were admins or at least good enough at the game to be in your clan and can contact an admin when needed and I was as obvious as I could be, But that didn't happen.

but you have to also understand if you were to ban everyone who is odd, the server would get empty real quick.

I'm not asking admins to shoot first, ask questions later.

As for the damage part, you can always report that to admins if you notice something odd

I suspect the average promod player have been fed up with 'clean SS' and 'it's just clicks' that they don't bother reporting anymore, At least that's what I did the first few days of playing, I just avoided those players or changed servers since my and other players complaints weren't going anywhere.

You also have to understand that not all cheaters are low effort and stupid, I'm not worried about those since you can spot them within a minute of playing on your server that if the SS didn't already catch them for you. The players I was referring to in my first post were the one that already good at the game but need that small edge, If they were to really tryhard using their cheats, They would toggle it on/off depending on the situation. You don't need a silent aim if you're already deleting the enemy team and winning, You don't need a sound ESP beeping in your ears distracting you the whole round, You need it to know is there someone around this corner? or What general direction you need to look at in that 1v1.

@Fraggy Please keep in mind the MP that i've sended to you to block the public wallhack that are on some forums around, also you can block some others hacking methods with that.

About this is really interesting to read, some cheaters are using "CoD4 Revolution Hack" and some others are using "CoD4 x22", they are private so we don't need to worry about this too much but about for public cheats that everyone can download on internet, maybe you can avoid it (Fraggy) by checking the MP that i've sended to you and everyone to get a more confortable gameplay maybe using admins and screenshots we will be fine, at leats!

Hi,

I'm one of the co-founders of UP promod, former admin at UA, DF, EP, IceOps, and also a long time player. I think it's fair to say I have quite some experience with catching cheaters.

You saying that you've been cheating on UP servers without getting caught is painful to hear. We have quite a lot of admins and some of them with a lot of experience, so we definitely don't rely only on screenshots. Actually, despite us taking screenshots regularly, we primarily take demos and we investigate the demos. We also spend a lot of time in spectate just like in the old days. A lot of our admins play in under-cover so that nobody knows whether there is an admin watching. Screenshots are a convenient rough filter, but you should never rely on screenshots only and all our admins know that.

When it comes to anticheats, I don't think there is any hope, to be honest. There are entire companies that focus solely on making anticheats and even though they have quite a big team of developers focusing on this one task, usually the anticheat is bypassed shortly after it's released. Take Warzone as an example - brand new anticheat system, yet the game is full of cheaters. And we don't even need to go that far... The new FPS-Challenge anticheat for cod4 had been bypassed few days after it was rolled out and I've heard that even some older cheats are still not detected either. So as it has already been pointed out by @Kreator, spectating players, taking demos and inspecting the demos is the only reliable way to catch cheaters today.

But I will also say that there are a lot of players who think everyone is cheating, when in fact the accused players are just really good at the game. The skill in cod4 has gone through the roof lately, especially with the rise of cod-wars, ladder and cups. And you can see that even the former pros can't always keep up with the current competition. There are players who have been playing the game for 13 years on more or less daily basis and they know every pixel of every map. They have their aim nailed down to the point that they don't even need to look at their screens to land a shot if they know where exactly the enemy is. This isn't cheating, this is skill that I've see on my own eyes.
On public servers, ghosting is also more common than ever. Screenshots can sometimes tell you (because of discord overlay) who is ghosting. This isn't something I'd ban for, but I usually warn these players or move them to the same team so they can no longer ghost on the others.

At UP, we have a player-reporting system and we get a lot of false alarms on daily basis. Unfortunately, there are still a lot of cheaters and we do everything we can to catch them, but the ratio between the reported players and real cheaters is quite high.

As it has already been explained here, there is no cheat that would give you higher damage, at least not one I'm aware of, because this information is processed on the server-side, not on the client. Modified mods may be the culprits here.
High-ping players killing lower-ping players is nothing out of the ordinary. CoD4 is known to be advantageous towards high-ping players than the other way round. With a high ping, your hitreg still works just fine (as long as your ping is stable); you're much more difficult to be killed by the others though. I even made a video about it couple of years ago (unfortunately I cannot find it now), and it clearly showed that if you play with a high ping, it's perfectly playable for you, but painful for the others.

All that being said, I'm very interested in seeing some demos/videos of you cheating on the servers where you claim to have cheated.
Also, could you please tell us what cheat you based your cheat on? That would help us a lot, thanks :)

Best Regards,

ProXicT.