Hajas

[LAN Problem] Connection refused

Hello there, we are having problems with LAN playing with COD4X over here. When map changes seams might have some anti-DDOS attacks feature in COD4X I supposed which is causing just one PC to connect and all others disconnects with this error:

Connection refused: An uncompleted connection from IP:PORT has been detected. Please try again later

Since we are in LAN, all real IPs are the same causing this problem. Then we can reconnect one by one to comeback to play, but is very annoying, and how many players we have more trouble to reconnect in line one by one. This of course doesn't happen with COD4 pure, so I think is a new feature of COD4X I supposed.

I'm not requesting to turn this off, just to be more light.... or create a dvar to we set in the servers as the number of the PC that might connect from the same IP, like if I set to 10, will only reject the 11° and foward connections.

Or even better, identify that are in fact other players with PCs with the same IPs because they are in LAN.

Thank you

Explaination of what is happening here:

Multiple PCs <----------> NAT <-----------> Gameserver

All PCs are connected to the same gameserver. Gameserver writes into all players console: "disconnect;reconnect". Gameserver shuts down. Gameserver starts up again and lost all state info. All players are reconnecting on the same time due to the manipulation of players console. Gameserver sees something which is indistinguishable from a real Denial of Service attack. Gameserver has built in protection for this that catches all this connections and rejects them.

There is no solution for it. If that is your server you can stop it from shutting down and restarting, there is no need for it to do that or edit the sourcecode for your self so the DoS shield is gone. Otherwise you have to live with it like it is.

I am pretty sure the majority wants the DoS shield instead covering this borderline case you have to deal with here.

• Like 2

I see your point of view and makes sense.

But I did that to fix the problem of have client crashes when change maps using r_xassetnum for the extra params to have extra XMODELS, MATERIALS, etc... 

Aside all clients can play FINE in ALL maps, so should not give this crash on clients when load the next map. Always when change the maps all clients get kicked with errors of limits exceeded... sometimes xmodels, sometimes materiasl, sometimes images...

Maybe do a "better unload everything" to realease the most of stuff prior to load another map to avoid the crash??? I still can't see why the error in the changing map if we can play fine in both maps, something is not right in that process.

With that I don't need to disconnect then reconnect everyone, all problems would be solved.

Cheers

Maybe i miss something because i am not an expert at security or network in general, but... does an anti ddos feature make sense when running a lan server only?

I mean, the commands sent to the server are all from inside the local network..

Would a guid check fix that issue?

As far as i remember are the cod4x guids like hardware ids, so even with multiple PCs (that maybe share a CD Key) the players have different cod4x guids.

One IP but different guids -> don't reject

One IP and same guids -> reject

That way you make sure that a PC can only connect once.

Atleast i think so :/

Edited by Viking

Ok, but to do this I need to change the server code, compile myself... I'm already having lots of work in my mod, can't work with COD4X too at the moment, specially because is a still in progress code... 

I already need to update my mod at every time that COD4X change the behavior in something, can't do that in 2 different codes.

Edited by Hajas

On 12/23/2020 at 7:48 PM, Hajas said:

I see your point of view and makes sense.

But I did that to fix the problem of have client crashes when change maps using r_xassetnum for the extra params to have extra XMODELS, MATERIALS, etc... 

Aside all clients can play FINE in ALL maps, so should not give this crash on clients when load the next map. Always when change the maps all clients get kicked with errors of limits exceeded... sometimes xmodels, sometimes materiasl, sometimes images...

Maybe do a "better unload everything" to realease the most of stuff prior to load another map to avoid the crash??? I still can't see why the error in the changing map if we can play fine in both maps, something is not right in that process.

With that I don't need to disconnect then reconnect everyone, all problems would be solved.

Cheers

From which map to which map this fails reliable? What mod should I have to fail?

In my new mod Call of Duty Rio, almost every map when change to the next all are kicked with the limit exceed, but when reconnect everything is fine.

The problem is when Unloading a map to Load the next, seams at short time they are both in the memory or something like that. 

Dunno how this is really processed but in that middle aside the extra limits set on r_xassetnum kick everyone with the limits, aside can handle well ingame.

To avoid that I send a reconnect command to each player before change the map, then no errors. But is causing this throuble with LANs, which can also be solved with another reconnect.