rndm37

Steam Nicknames and Clan names

Hello!

I don't know if you have this issue too, but I found a bug with the names.

The problem is, as you can see on the image, the name set on Steam is not shown correctly in-game.

If you can't fix it, the possibility to change name in-game like before CoD4x with the /name command or in the multiplayer settings would be nice, too. :D

I have the latest version both client and server side. I hope you can fix it somehow. ^^

Untitled.png

Untitled1.png

Edited by rndm37
Forgot to attach the images

yeah that is indeed not pretty. currently the only possibility is for server hosters to set sv_steamnames 0 ( or was it named sv_nosteamnames 1 ?)

we should really just strip the broken characters from the name.

there was also a client fork ongoing a while ago which allowed for rendering names with ttf fonts, but we didnt continue on that yet.

9 hours ago, T-Max said:

How about stop using Unicode symbols in names whenever CoD4 supports only ASCII?

Yes, I know I should not use. But there are many other players. And you know, Only because CoD4 does not support it, other Steam games do.

4 hours ago, D4edalus said:

yeah that is indeed not pretty. currently the only possibility is for server hosters to set sv_steamnames 0 ( or was it named sv_nosteamnames 1 ?)

Thank you, I tried this, but it does not work.

Nobody can help me?

I forgot to say I downloaded the source from here and searched for both sv_steamnames  and sv_nosteamnames , but couldn't find any of them.

set sv_nosteamnames 1

still works, its not contained in the public sources, but in the auth library

Okay, I found out why it is not working on my server... Looks like it does not read the steam_api.so file. That's why the command is not working. Anyone can help me with that?

As I already said, the server does not load the Steam API. But here is the error message for you:

[S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; SteamAPI_IsSteamRunning() failed.
FillInMachineIDInfo took a total of 0 milliseconds
Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 42750

interesting, haven't seen that problem before.

please strip down your configuration to the minimum ( no mods, no additional scripts, simple config ) and upload it, so we can reproduce the error

also a full qconsole log might be helpful
whats your servers os and specs?

Well, that's strange...

For the first start, it was all good: [S_API] Initialization completed
And after I stopped the server, and started it again without changing anything: [S_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; SteamAPI_IsSteamRunning() failed.

But looks like I found the "bug". After the first start, the auto update downloads a new binary. That's what it supposed to do, I know, but with this binary the server does not load the library. So I deleted the new binary, and renamed the cod4_lnxded.old to cod4_lnxded, started it again, and the server didn't download the new binary again. It is now loading the libsteam_api.so as it have to do.

Vágólap-4.jpg