Sign in to follow this  
Airitech

cod4x_patchv2.ff is different from server

Hey guys, at first I thought that this was a client issue, but the problem only happened after I finally updated my servers from 962 to build 1004. I was forced to update because my 962 server was no longer appearing on the CoD4x Master List, not sure why that decision was made but I digress.

I noticed it myself, and a few players have noticed that upon a map rotating, they might be kicked for this error. 
https://gyazo.com/2d2ae41b8dec217d8ced5947b37d4467

All of us are on 18.4 or 18.5 clients, but this issue only ever started happening two days ago when I updated my server to 1004. Build 962 we never had this issue what so ever. I checked my local patchv2.ff file in appdata, and cross-referenced it with the server files, exact same. Re installed all the server files, auto-update etc, the problem is still persisting. Server is linux.

I have gotten to recreate it with opening 2 instances of cod4x, joining the server, and then rotating the map a few times, one of them will error out, server console will just make it look like they normally disconnected.

Getting kicked is hit or miss, I haven't found a common anomaly between any of us that reported the issue, and again, this did not happen at all, I have never seen or heard of this error (I play a lot) on server version 962. 

Thanks for any potential information about this bug!

С выходом обновы 18.5 клиент игры престал поддерживать множество карт на модовых серверах так как в патч были вшиты доп модели и матерьялы. Разрабы в очередной раз решили заточить обнову под определенный сервер

• Like 1

I had to run that through google translate, but my server is using stock maps, no mod what so ever. Also, I believe this issue lies within the server, not the client. We were all using the same clients on the previous server version of CoD4x, 962, and we never saw this error.  

Found the problem, fixed it by shittily adjusting code in the basedonstable branch.

Adjusted xassets.c line 80-92

if(DB_ModFileExists()){

XZoneInfoStack[i].name = "mod";
            XZoneInfoStack[i].allocFlags = 16;
            XZoneInfoStack[i].freeFlags = 0;
            ++i;
        } else {
            XZoneInfoStack[i].name = "cod4x_patchv2";
            ++i;
        }
        DB_LoadXAssets(&XZoneInfoStack[0], i, 0);

To This

if(DB_ModFileExists()){

XZoneInfoStack[i].name = "mod";
            ++i;
        } /*else {
            XZoneInfoStack[i].name = "cod4x_patchv2";
            ++i;
        }*/
        DB_LoadXAssets(&XZoneInfoStack[0], i, 0);

It would appear the bug has something to do (obviously) with checking for the cod4x_patchv2.

Although I'm sure removing this check is a big security issue, it would be better if I had the knowledge/time to track this bug down to the root.

After recompiling, error no longer appears. With my testing methodology posted above.

Edited by Airitech