Sign in to follow this  
Fraggy

Only "Pure" servers will be allowed on the masterserver in future

With the update 19.0 there is a significant change rolling in. We will allow only the listing of pure servers ("set sv_pure 1") servers on the masterserver. Now you might think: sv_pure is enabled already! Well this is not really the case. Although the dvar does exist, it does nothing anymore at all since CoD4X17a servers came up. The verification code was just not implemented in them since people bypassed it anyway with an "sv_pure" exploit. However this has led to a state where around ~40% of players play nowadays with tampered .IWD files, because nobody cares, possible due to CoD4X17a's complete removal of this check.

But anyway since I see it as important that all players on a server play with the same set of gamefiles and not with "Mario" player textures, I will put that validation back into gameserver with next major version.

After some checking of checksums of players on my server, I have noticed some players using unofficial iwd files but they seem to be used by many players however. To lower the impact on players, I would like to know if there are very very popular alternative sets of iwd files players could have downloaded with the CoD4 game from shady sources. (possible they have single player stripped assets or whatever). If there is an alternative set of files, I consider to possible add some files after review to the allowed list - required the assets inside are not changed.

In order to prevent that pure servers will lack players (players will usually just join another impure server instead of fixing their game), having a pure server will be a requirement to be listed onto the masterserver.

If you know something about matter (edited iwd files) then give your input here please.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Confused 1

Sign in to follow this