Anomaly

Game freeze when being screenshotted

This has been bugging me since I started playing on CoD4X servers, but I figured it was finally time to create a post about it here. Whenever I get screenshotted my entire game freezes for 7-10 seconds straight. According to my tests, there's only a marginal freeze on 640*480, but it gets increasingly worse with bigger. My native resolution is 2560*1440, if I set in-game resolution to 4k/uhd, then the freeze is even longer and I just get disconnected from the game eventually. First I thought it was because of my relatively low upload speed, but that's not the case given that screenshots are uploaded with a few KB/s. I've asked around and there are definitely more people having this problem, although most people play this game on resolutions up to 1920*1080 max. I'd like to see this problem fixed ^

it's not a general issue. i play on 2560x1440 myself without any issues. i've never heared of somebody else having that issue.

- is this happening on a specific server?
- what's your pc specs?
- when did this start occuring?

Posted (edited)

No, to my knowledge this is not restricted to just one server, as I know for a fact it happens on two 1.8 servers I play regularly on. I have a 3700x / vega56 / 16gb ram, pc specs shouldn't warrant this kind of issue at all. This started happening as soon as I started playing on CoD4X servers, which for me was early 2019 I think. Might not have been as bad then because at some point I switched from a 1080P monitor to 1440P monitor.

I can include some demos, that show how my game becomes temporarily frozen, if that helps.

Edit: Now that I think about it, I have definitely played on a CoD4X server before where I didn't notice being screenshotted, this was 2018 - early 2019 I think.

Edited by Anomaly
clarity

14 minutes ago, Anomaly said:

pc specs shouldn't warrant this kind of issue at all

i just wanted to rule out issues due to a really low end system, your's should be more than capable.

16 minutes ago, Anomaly said:

I can include some demos, that show how my game becomes temporarily frozen, if that helps.

can't hurt to see some proof. yes please.

17 minutes ago, Anomaly said:

Edit: Now that I think about it, I have definitely played on a CoD4X server before where I didn't notice being screenshotted, this was 2018 - early 2019 I think.

could be that the server just didn't use screenshots at all. it's up to the server admins to trigger them. i rather was curious if this happened after a recent update.

0293 - @2560*1440
0294 - @2560*1440
0295 - @640*480
0296 - @640*480
0297 - @640*480
0298 - @2560*1440

Very, very noticeable at 1440P, hardly noticeable at all at 480P. I think especially 0298 demonstrates what I mean.

demos.7z

okay, from the demo i assume your game isn't freezing, but rather your network connection is going crazy. is that right? your fps are staying high still?

38 minutes ago, Anomaly said:

Very, very noticeable at 1440P, hardly noticeable at all at 480P. I think especially 0298 demonstrates what I mean.

@Fraggy may know better than me, but have you tried using a new profile? i think it would be good to rule out any special config setting which may cause issues. give it a try with a default config.

Posted (edited)

The game actually freezes for me. I just tried to capture the problem live with AMD Relive and default config. The entire recording just freezes for the duration of the screenshot. I'll try to include a short live capture.

Link: https://streamable.com/q7uwhw

Edited by Anomaly

28 minutes ago, Anomaly said:

The game actually freezes for me. I just tried to capture the problem live with AMD Relive and default config. The entire recording just freezes for the duration of the screenshot. I'll try to include a short live capture.

Link: https://streamable.com/q7uwhw

thanks a lot for the clip. however, i'm not sure yet what we can do about it.

There is nothing we can do about it. I can only recommend in general, play onto a server where you don't get screenshoted all the time.

I assume his hardware/driver is extremely slow at the procedure which is ongoing on screen capture while other GPUs aren't that slow even when they are older.

It does not make a difference when you take a screenshot every 20 minutes or every 3 minutes, just that last variant is more annoying for the players.

Well, that's a bit disappointing. One of the servers I play on always screenshots shortly after connecting and with each new map start. That makes it easy to reproduce the problem ;) but is kinda annoying. Anyway, thanks for getting back to me so quickly.

I intend to do a clean Windows with a new graphic driver at some point, and see if the problem persists. I'll report back if that fixes it.

I doubt a reinstall makes it any faster. I know it is annoying. When I implemented it, it did hitch only for 1 second on my old PC. I already considered that as disrupting. Your case seems extreme. Auto-screenshoting like it is done on some servers was not my intention and is not provided by cod4x server by default. But it is in control of the admins and not in my control how they use or misuse this facility.

That Vega56 is the issue, can confirm as one of my members replaced the same gpu and doesn't have any issues anymore, from what I know its mostly GPU related, I didn't have issues on a 10 year old quatro gpu while some had issues on newer amd cards.

Posted (edited)

Kind of bumped my vega56 is supposedly to blame. I did some more testing. Taking a regular screenshot (print screen) with anti-aliasing enabled gives a similar freeze, with it turned off I don't notice any freeze. Taking a screenshot with F12, which saves the file to disk, freezes my game regardless of AA setting. CoD4X screenshots also keep freezing my game regardless of AA setting.

Edited by Anomaly

The only thing you could try is to change drivers, see some older or newer ones, or a new gpu heh