Dunny

Why can't 17.5 connect to most servers anymore?

image.png.2ebe8f1cf97b10ac69fb9848b73cae90.png

I use this version because it's the newest version that correctly displays the client as COD4 on Steam and tracks the hours. Up until today (I haven't played for a month) it has been able to connect to every server but now it doesn't, why? If the latest version's Steam integration worked properly I wouldn't even need to use an old version but here we are.

Because servers got updated, and old clients aren't compatible.

On 6/16/2020 at 6:44 AM, dpj said:

Because servers got updated, and old clients aren't compatible.

But why?, what exactly makes my client incompatible? It doesn't seem like there are actually any changes except for breaking Steam integration which I wouldn't call a fix. Looks like I'm gonna have to stop playing COD4 til this gets fixed.

On 6/17/2020 at 8:43 PM, Dunny said:

But why?, what exactly makes my client incompatible? It doesn't seem like there are actually any changes except for breaking Steam integration which I wouldn't call a fix. Looks like I'm gonna have to stop playing COD4 til this gets fixed.

Why do you care so much about it tracking your hours on steam?? New update fixes many things, you should update to 18.4

10 hours ago, jayzus77 said:

Why do you care so much about it tracking your hours on steam?? New update fixes many things, you should update to 18.4

It doesn't matter why I care so much, I just like to see how many hours I have in games I play. The new update may fix many things but none that are applicable to me since I have no problems with my version. I don't even know how they manage to break Steam integration. It's been broken since June 2019 and a dev named 'Fraggy' responded to a forum post about it saying "Sorry but you have to give up onto it." and then didn't respond to my reply in the thread, it really seems like a joke to me.

the feature you are asking for is not supported by cod4x anymore for technical reasons. 

if you want to use cod4x you should stick to the latest version, major version changes (in this case 17.x -> 18.x) can break compatibility with older server versions. if that is not acceptable to you, please don't use cod4x. 

fraggy answered like this because that's exactly how OP formulated his question (citation) "Is there a solution for this, or do I have to give up on it?" - "Sorry but you have to give up onto it.!"

https://cod4x.me/index.php?/forums/topic/3506-steam-doesnt-count-played-hours-anymore/&tab=comments#comment-17526

14 minutes ago, dpj said:

the feature you are asking for is not supported by cod4x anymore for technical reasons. 

if you want to use cod4x you should stick to the latest version, major version changes (in this case 17.x -> 18.x) can break compatibility with older server versions. if that is not acceptable to you, please don't use cod4x. 

fraggy answered like this because that's exactly how OP formulated his question (citation) "Is there a solution for this, or do I have to give up on it?" - "Sorry but you have to give up onto it.!"

https://cod4x.me/index.php?/forums/topic/3506-steam-doesnt-count-played-hours-anymore/&tab=comments#comment-17526

I know the reason you don't support it. It's because a majority of cod4x users didn't buy the game through Steam and either pirated it or had a physical copy like myself because that's how I used to play cod4x until I bought it through Steam because I had to reinstall it and my PC doesn't have a optical drive anymore. Obviously then you can't tell Steam that a user is playing COD4 if they don't own it through their platform. I could just solve this locally on my client with the latest version if I just knew where to find the steam_appid so I can change it back to the COD4 appid but it seems to be well hidden. Oh well I'll just have to stick to my version since there are still some active servers on it. And yes you are right, fraggy did answer like that because of the way OP asked, I never noticed the way OP originally asked so my bad for that one.

On 6/20/2020 at 12:34 PM, dpj said:

Thanks for the response to my last post.

35 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Thanks for the response to my last post.

you know less than you think. i've already described your options in my previous post. that's all i had to say on the topic.

you're welcome

He will be maybe happy with next update. But that requires that no old servers are active anymore, or it will throw steam auth errors.

59 minutes ago, dpj said:

you know less than you think. i've already described your options in my previous post. that's all i had to say on the topic.

you're welcome

I know less than I think? I never said I was knowledgeable on this but regardless nothing I said above was false and if it is explain how it is. Removing features for no reason is not a good way to get people to use your mod.

19 minutes ago, Fraggy said:

He will be maybe happy with next update. But that requires that no old servers are active anymore, or it will throw steam auth errors.

If the next update allows Steam to show I'm playing the right game and tracks the hours then yeah I'll be happy. I really don't see how this is unreasonable to ask for. Thanks fraggy :)

Well you are lucky enough Valve is not checking and validating every shit on their steam backend servers.

• Like 1