Hajas

[BOTS] View Function Request

Hello, this is a request to make your bots become REALLY better.

We all use to check the view of the bots with the bulletTracePassed function, which works great MOST of the times, but causes a chaos in those 2 cases mainly:

1. When the mapper didn't put any kind iDFLAGS_PENETRATION on the walls

2. When we have Trees, Plants, etc in the middle

In those 2 cases the bots will see the other players when shoudn't, and in jungle like maps it's a complete hell to play.

Is possible to create a new funcion to test the view of the bots? How are the functions from Quake 3 for this?

Is not possible to detect if hit any kind of colored object in the middel return false to not make the bots see through walls/jungles?

thank you

Well, I guess we will not fix mappers' mistakes. Just because it's theirs mistakes.

Not sure if i got you right...

You want to check if a bot can see an opponent player?

And your problem with the bullettracepassed is that it returns true even when it should return false?

Uhm, why dont you use SightConeTrace?

This function is used by claymores and grenades and returns how much of an entity is visible from a given point of view.

At least that's how i did it in my bot script and it is doing pretty good.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, T-Max said:

Well, I guess we will not fix mappers' mistakes. Just because it's theirs mistakes.

ok, but what about the vegetation in the middle, is not a mappers fault right? Fixing that will fix also the dirty work of mappers.

4 hours ago, Viking said:

Uhm, why dont you use SightConeTrace?

This function is used by claymores and grenades and returns how much of an entity is visible from a given point of view.

At least that's how i did it in my bot script and it is doing pretty good.

I used that at first, but later I replaced because performance issues, but I confess was a looooong time ago. I will try that again, BUT what I remember, clays can be triggered behind bushes and thin walls, so we gonna have the same problem, bots seeing what they shoundn't.

But I'll make some tests, thanks for the input.

I made some tests, and sadly claymores can be detonated and kill accross walls (without iDFLAGS_PENETRATION) and any kind of vegetation, so in the end we reach to same problem, the bots can see through vegetation and walls (without iDFLAGS_PENETRATION) and will open fire.

Anyone figured out how to spawn SOLID invisible walsl via script? Then we could add few to maps that have these problems.

cheers