={FMJ}=Smiley

Help Please - Disable Console

Hi All,

Not a COD4X problem but hoping someone can help.

It has been noted that ANYONE can change maps etc in the drop down console in game on my servers. Obviously don't want that!!

set sv_disableClientConsole 1

I need to disable for all clients. The above does not work if i type it in game. Even if it did i am not sure it would be permanent after server restart for example. 

Do i need to put this into a cfg somewhere. Putting it in the main server.cfg in the MOD does not work either. I have tried that.

Hoping somebody knows. Big thank you.

Smiley.

3 hours ago, sheep_wizard2 said:

People will only be able to change map if they have access to your servers RCON

This exactly. Unless you are adding each person that joins to your admin list (if using COD4X internal adminning change the level requirement for map_rotate) then RCON is the other option 

Otherwise seems you have a Security problem :P

2 hours ago, Koaja said:

This exactly. Unless you are adding each person that joins to your admin list (if using COD4X internal adminning change the level requirement for map_rotate) then RCON is the other option 

Otherwise seems you have a Security problem :P

I went on an empty server earlier running cod4x. I typed /map mp_crossfire into the console and it changed the map for me. I dont know this server, I have no RCON nothing!. So it would seem there are few with 'security issues' Unless you dont mind clients doing that. But maybe people can kick players also? I don't know. Maybe check your own servers also?

I changed to

But at first i thought it was not working because it still brought down the console. However after testing it again it started to change the map (looked like it was) and then kicked me out the server. So now all is OK and no one can change anything. 

10 hours ago, ={FMJ}=Smiley said:

I went on an empty server earlier running cod4x. I typed /map mp_crossfire into the console and it changed the map for me. I dont know this server, I have no RCON nothing!. So it would seem there are few with 'security issues' Unless you dont mind clients doing that. But maybe people can kick players also? I don't know. Maybe check your own servers also?

I changed to

But at first i thought it was not working because it still brought down the console. However after testing it again it started to change the map (looked like it was) and then kicked me out the server. So now all is OK and no one can change anything. 

Ofc it changed the map.. You are starting your own local server and not actually changing the map on the server. Unless someone has your rcon or admin power on server it is impossible to change anything on server.

As for disabling client console, you can't. Not server nor client is allowed to disable the console.

On 9/30/2019 at 11:18 AM, leiizko said:

Ofc it changed the map.. You are starting your own local server and not actually changing the map on the server. Unless someone has your rcon or admin power on server it is impossible to change anything on server.

As for disabling client console, you can't. Not server nor client is allowed to disable the console.

Yes I see now...grrrr sorry for the noobness. Really appreciate the help. Just think I panicked a bit there! 

7 hours ago, ={FMJ}=Smiley said:

Yes I see now...grrrr sorry for the noobness. Really appreciate the help. Just think I panicked a bit there! 

Not going to lie, it did make me giggle a bit :P It happens, no sweat :D

2 hours ago, Koaja said:

Not going to lie, it did make me giggle a bit :P It happens, no sweat :D

I need to double check again lol...so keep giggling 🙂 I would like someone to come on server and try it if possible......A guy from another clan said he has 100% changed my server maps by going in the console. There is 10000% no chance he has any admin details RCON password etc. Is he pulling my plonker or what??

Please give it a try if you get a chance:

fmjcod4.ddns.net:28960 is one of the servers. 

1 minute ago, sheep_wizard2 said:

When you are in the server and do /map xyz it loads the map in local server. This is what he wants to stop but i dont think you can.

Hi, that is OK for me because it does not affect the server. 

The information that I got from another member was that they rotated the map actually in the server which is of course what we don't want. The guy from another clan who claims he can do this is yet to contact me. He said he would show me. If it is true then of course I will report back here. But as said above...it makes no sense to me how they could do that with any passwords etc.

Yeah i panicked a bit because I don't want just anyone changing maps at will. Really appreciate you coming in sheep_wizard2 and trying that out for me. Lets see what this other dude is on about...make me look even more stupid 😞 

I'm probably get fed crap info and reacting to that crap info and now looking crap lol.

Will let you know when i get hold of him and try. 

OK..trust me when i say that this guy comes in and changes maps at will. Also can call votes to change map, kick player etc etc all from console. 

I have ALL of that disabled. Old voting is also set to '0' in q3config. Console is disabled in normal openwarfare server.cfg

This is not a wind up or joke..the guy is genuinely trying to let me know and says he can do it on all servers. He showed someone on another server to raise awareness and they banned him lol 

1 hour ago, ={FMJ}=Smiley said:

OK..trust me when i say that this guy comes in and changes maps at will. Also can call votes to change map, kick player etc etc all from console. 

I have ALL of that disabled. Old voting is also set to '0' in q3config. Console is disabled in normal openwarfare server.cfg

This is not a wind up or joke..the guy is genuinely trying to let me know and says he can do it on all servers. He showed someone on another server to raise awareness and they banned him lol 

do you have your rcon password in the server config or on the startup line

its best to remove it from the server config and install it in the startup line like this +set rcon_password yourpassword

I personally would change it in case someone found out what it is.

I have one in the server config that simple says f***k You

I was told that someone could download the server.cfg and also told that cod4x prevents that, However I figure it is always an extra protection to put it on the command line.

Edited by wkuzma

47 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Dont know if it will help but also instead of server.cfg make it a filename with random characters.

I left mine as server.cfg so if they do download it they get a fake rcon password

Mine at the moment is in the server.cfg.

The guy who is changing the map and made me aware of this, I know him. He does not know the RCON password at all. But he can still change the server map rotation. He said he will go through it with me more today so I can let you know exactly what he is doing. He is also running a server but not cod4x. He has been able to disable console completely (so he says) to prevent it. He could also do it on 1.7

I never knew that you could put password in command line. I think that could be a safer way maybe and so I will also try that. Change the password while I am at it. Will keep this updated because its annoying me right now lol....

Posted (edited)
On 10/2/2019 at 11:11 PM, ={FMJ}=Smiley said:

That guy is me! It is useless for you to ask me the command with which even in a server with a vote not enabled, through the console, you can request a vote. It doesn't happen on all servers, maybe only a few with openwarfare mods. I showed Smiley how on his server (where voting is not enabled) I managed to call the vote for the map_rotate. without rcon and without admin power. I did this because I wanted to fix this. if you want to give me your ip I can always try again. but don't ask me what the command is ... I will never say it. ps: for a similar demonstration, in the HKS server the admin have banned me .... but I wanted, and I would like to solve this problem. that exists!

[ISS]WarriorIbla

www.issclan.it

Edited by WarriorIbla
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, WarriorIbla said:

That guy is me! It is useless for you to ask me the command with which even in a server with a vote not enabled, through the console, you can request a vote. It doesn't happen on all servers, maybe only a few with openwarfare mods. I showed Smiley how on his server (where voting is not enabled) I managed to call the vote for the map_rotate. without rcon and without admin power. I did this because I wanted to fix this. if you want to give me your ip I can always try again. but don't ask me what the command is ... I will never say it. ps: for a similar demonstration, in the HKS server the admin have banned me .... but I wanted, and I would like to solve this problem. that exists!

[ISS]WarriorIbla

www.issclan.it

I appreciated you letting me know Warrior. I posted on here to see if anybody knew about this also. You were referred to as 'this guy' because I wont mention names blah blah. 🙂 

Anyway I am not sure if it still works. I had disabled console and the old voting system etc and so now I don't know if it works or not mate. You are welcome to try.

A bit crazy for HKS to ban you when you are trying to help them!! 

I am using OW MoD.

I have done this is server.cfg : set sv_disableClientConsole "1"

I now also made sure that the //exec configs/server/voting.cfg has the // in front on the main openwarfare.cfg

We can try again. But...

in the q3config_server.cfg it ALWAYS defaults back to seta g_oldVoting "1" 

I have stopped the servers changed it to seta g_oldVoting "0" and restarted. When i check it is back to seta g_oldVoting "1" again. 

2 hours ago, WarriorIbla said:

I would like to solve this problem

i'm not sure if the issue is known within the cod4x team, but you can always report security issues to us in a private message

• Like 1

Just a shot into the blue...

You said you use the mapvote, even when it's disabled on the server. I remember something similar from the old cod2 days.

When i remember correctly then you call a vote through console with the Scriptmenuresponses.

I dont have access to the PC right now, but the syntax is

/openscriptmenu menu response

However, i never noticed this working in stock cod4, but maybe cod4x opened a "backdoor"

32 minutes ago, Viking said:

Just a shot into the blue...

You said you use the mapvote, even when it's disabled on the server. I remember something similar from the old cod2 days.

When i remember correctly then you call a vote through console with the Scriptmenuresponses.

I dont have access to the PC right now, but the syntax is

/openscriptmenu menu response

However, i never noticed this working in stock cod4, but maybe cod4x opened a "backdoor"

When i put that in console this is what comes up.

/connect 
         /disconnect 
         /test 
         /say <TEXT>
         /listplayers 
         /listmaps 
         /changemap <MAP>
         /changemapkick <MAP>
         /kick <PLAYER NAME>
         /listbans 
         /listipbans 
         /listidbans 
         /ban <BAN> [<TIME>]
         /banip <IP> [<TIME>]
         /banid <GLOBAL ID> [<TIME>]
         /removeban <BAN>
         /removebanip <IP>
         /removebanid <GLOBAL ID>
         /banidwrite 
         /banipwrite 
         /banidload 
         /banipload 
         /connectpassword 
         /connectpassword <TEXT>
         /rconpassword 
         /rconpassword <TEXT>
         /complete <TEXT>

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, dpj said:

i'm not sure if the issue is known within the cod4x team, but you can always report security issues to us in a private message

I had this problem even when I was not yet using cod4x. Maybe it's just about openwarfare. On some servers it allows you to ask for a vote even if you are alone, other servers require more players. they are all variables that I would like to be able to control. But I never did. In private I am sending you a command line message that allows you to do this.

Edited by WarriorIbla
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, WarriorIbla said:

I had this problem even when I was not yet using cod4x. Maybe it's just about openwarfare. On some servers it allows you to ask for a vote even if you are alone, other servers require more players. they are all variables that I would like to be able to control. But I never did. In private I am sending you a command line message that allows you to do this.

thanks, i ll have a look

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ={FMJ}=Smiley said:

When i put that in console this is what comes up.

/connect 
         /disconnect 
         /test 
         /say <TEXT>
         /listplayers 
         /listmaps 
         /changemap <MAP>
         /changemapkick <MAP>
         /kick <PLAYER NAME>
         /listbans 
         /listipbans 
         /listidbans 
         /ban <BAN> [<TIME>]
         /banip <IP> [<TIME>]
         /banid <GLOBAL ID> [<TIME>]
         /removeban <BAN>
         /removebanip <IP>
         /removebanid <GLOBAL ID>
         /banidwrite 
         /banipwrite 
         /banidload 
         /banipload 
         /connectpassword 
         /connectpassword <TEXT>
         /rconpassword 
         /rconpassword <TEXT>
         /complete <TEXT>

I don't know those commands. And I believe to know server commands good enough. I would assume this is maybe scripted stuff?

When you run insecure scripts we can not do much about it.