Mr. COD4

Needed to allocate at least 4096.0MB load images

When connect to server some players game crash and got an error message like this:

Needed to allocate at least 4096.0MB load images

Is this problem come up with server or client?

Edited by Mr. COD4

Client I believe. But it does not show for everyone? There is at least one software bug. Because the number is looking bad.

Posted (edited)

I'm getting this problem too, but ONLY with NEW PROFILES created already with COD4X.

When the player tries to connect the server client crash with the msg "Needed to allocate at least 4096.0 MB to load images". Is not possible to play with this new profile. Really VERY weird!

I tested here with different machines, works PERFECT with ANY old profiles, with or without previous mod use, works fine.

I think the problem is in the new profiles created with COD4X... I have no clues aside that.

Any help ASAP with this problem would be great!

Thank you!

20200625_104207.jpg

Edited by Hajas

58 minutes ago, Hajas said:

I think the problem is in the new profiles created with COD4X... I have no clues aside that.

can't confirm that. i can play with a new profile created on cod4x 18.4 just fine.

Seams only happens with mods with the extra limits... not with regular COD4 or mods that don't need that like Frontlines.

Tested in 4 different machines, the same in all of them.

New Profile = Crash to connect any server with a mod with extra limits - works fine in mods that don't need that and original COD4 MP.

Old Profile = Works great with original COD4 and any mod, incluiding with extra limits.

Why I don't have any clue, but I'm 100% sure this happens all the time.

Well it should be definitely checked why it happends to the clients as it does not affect all clients, but here is what I know about that so far.

It can be fixed from the server side, its about image assets primarily, if you have a lot of assets and a lot of big ones, this error can happen on different texture resolution settings, mostly when playing on lower settings as it "allocates less space", so to fix it server owners should revise all their larger .iwi's like skins etc, re-render them in dds ( BC3/DXT5 ) with mipmaps on, and then convert back to iwi, if you revise all of them like that and you still get it, you will need to cut down on the size, scale down the resolution by the power of 2, you need to maintain the power of 2 resolution with dds textures e.g. 1024x1024, 2048x512 or whatever combination, and then use the new assets in your server files, that fixed my issues always and again it doesn't happen to everyone, different game settings perhaps and stuff like that affects it.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Is not related with that, is with the profile created by COD4X. 

I'm dong lots of tests, and saw that COD4X do NOT create a folder inside the game when create a profile, just at APPDATA. Tryed to copy inside.

Didn't worked. saw that everything was read only, removed and still crash.

How to create a new profile? Copy/Paste the old profile created with COD4 and rename it to anything else. WORKS PERFECT!

The problem is with profiles created with COD4X! Don't work with mods that use r_xassetnum extras. I'm providing a clean profile to my clan be able to play. All players which installed COD4 recently have the same problem, because ALL of them have COD4X generated profile.

Something is wrong with that.

Cheers

Edited by Hajas

Well It may not be related with that in your case exacly, but its the same error that pops, and I've dealt with it countless times as described above, the more ways it can be isolated and fixed the better.

• Like 1

I will look further into this.... a member reported that problem came back after he changed some configs.

When I create a new profile, the first thing I do is set everything at high settings, even aside that I get the problem.

I'll try to force this problem in an old profile to see if happens too.

Testing a lot over here, figured out that messing with these graphics options can cause the error in old profiles, only the GREEN ones are safe to change to anything you want.

But I can't make a NEW profile work, even with all set to max... doesn't work. Must have some other config in the cfg file that is causing the error, not available in the menus. Still trying to find it, but will take a little time to check each dvar...

cod_rio_configs.jpg

@Mr. COD4 @Hajas I don't know if this would be helpful to you.  I also had same issue with a mod that set on our server. Some players with certain graphics/texture settings were getting the same error.

And I figured it out that it was due to an iwi file inside the mod. And I replaced it with another one and it was fixed.  Issue may be  because of wrong formatted DDS file used for making iwi.    

Try to figure out the faulty iwi file in the mod and remove/replace it (server side). 

@Hajas, I have created a brand new profile in CoD4 X and connected to this server: cod4://187.99.241.102:28960

I did not had any issue by connecting and joining. So what should I do now?

21 hours ago, Fraggy said:

@Hajas, I have created a brand new profile in CoD4 X and connected to this server: cod4://187.99.241.102:28960

I did not had any issue by connecting and joining. So what should I do now?

Frontlines don't require the extra features, connect this instead cod4://187.99.241.102:28970

I have here the cfg generate with new profile by COD4X and my old, I just need to find time to compare each dvar to see what's wrong with the COD4X version which can't be fixed via menus.

Edited by Hajas

3 minutes ago, Hajas said:

I have here the cfg generate with new profile by COD4X and my old, I just need to find time to compare each dvar to see what's wrong with the COD4X version which can't be fixed via menus.

use \dvardump on both and throw it into kdiff

• Like 1