Sign in to follow this  
wkuzma

centos 6.10

Posted (edited)

I decided to try linux and installed centos 6.10 I updated the video drivers and installed wine

I then insalled the windows version of teamviewer in wine the program did work as expected however the video on temviewer kept going blank so I uninstalled it and installed the linux version of teamiewer and had complete success everything showed as it should.

Now for my problem I installed cod4 through wine and the install went without a problem however when I run up cod4 the screen shows the cod4 picture the errors there and a window pops up with an error however I have no idea what the error is or how to fix it

I also tried to install Belarc Advisor a windows program and it also gave an error with a pop up window.

I will post the errow hoping someone can read it and shove me in the right direction to correct it. Please understand I am just learning how to do commands and am not knowledgeable about linux commands 

the file attached is the error from cod4

backtrace.txt

Edited by wkuzma

Posted (edited)

my test system that I installed centos on is

3.00 gigahertz Intel Core2 Duo
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
6144 kilobyte secondary memory cache
Multi-core (2 total)
Not hyper-threaded

Main Circuit Board b Board: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD P7N SLI-FI (MS-7380) 1.0
Bus Clock: 333 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. V2.2 12/02/2009
Drives 601.99 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
336.63 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

PLDS DVD+-RW DH-24AWS SCSI CdRom Device [Optical drive]

ST310005 28AS SCSI Disk Device (1000.20 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 5VP8EH8C, SMART Status: Healthy
Memory Modules c,d 6144 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory

NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT [Display adapter]
DELL 1707FP [Monitor] (17.1"vis, s/n XX-0YG613-XXXXX-68N-AFHC, August 2006)

Edited by wkuzma

With Steam + Proton beta work just fine, however u cant play on 1.8 servers. @Koaja have a workaround, he managed to work somehow. 

2 hours ago, Klauser said:

why u installed linux if u want to use it like windows with wine... xD

I guess its the only way I found to run cod4 on linux according my searches on the internet

and if I can't install cod4 on centos 6.10 linux how will I ever install cod4x on it?

unless you have a way to install cod4 without wine.

He ran the Steam client inside a wine prefix i guess, then started the game inside the same prefix. 

Using lutris I ran another exe (in our case the steam.exe installed via winesteam) inside the COD4 wine prefix I had. Steam authentication works

You can connect to servers

Performance on my laptop isn't ideal

I can reply properly later (I'm on my phone coming back to University) 

Posted (edited)

Steps:

1: Install Steam via Wine

2: Install COD4 (If using Retail) via Lutris
3: Right click COD4 Prefix in Lutris

4: Click run program in prefix (something along those lines) navigate to where every the steam.exe you installed via wine is installed

5: Steam will Run, login blah blah

6:Run the COD4 Prefix

It will successfully authenticate

I managed to connect to a server and install COD4X via this means, I havent tested anything with proton (I just bought COD4 the other day on Steam and havent tried it yet) but I will see what I can do with firkelling to get COD4X to install.

Edited by Koaja

There was only one major bug with the Linux gameplay I made, and @dpj already knows about them so I wont disclose it publicly (nothing too major but its nice to be able to replicate it easier)

I think I found whats causing the error - wine is not loading any sound drivers

anyone with experience in centos 6.10 and wine 3.0 that can help explain how to get wine to see the audio drivers and load them?

the centos itself sees the drivers and plays sound.

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, wkuzma said:

I think I found whats causing the error - wine is not loading any sound drivers

anyone with experience in centos 6.10 and wine 3.0 that can help explain how to get wine to see the audio drivers and load them?

the centos itself sees the drivers and plays sound.

What version of Wine are you using? Try the latest development versions to see if that helps at all. I had no issues out the box when installing COD4 via Wine, which makes it strange.  
Edit: I see you are using Wine 3.0, try the development version as I said (I just saw it was wine3.0 in the trace you posted.)

Edited by Koaja

2 hours ago, Koaja said:

What version of Wine are you using? Try the latest development versions to see if that helps at all. I had no issues out the box when installing COD4 via Wine, which makes it strange.  
Edit: I see you are using Wine 3.0, try the development version as I said (I just saw it was wine3.0 in the trace you posted.)

i will try the development version and see what happens

1 hour ago, wkuzma said:

Also, look at using Lutris 

https://lutris.net/ ---- Here is a quote bc this forum software is trashy

Makes managing runners such as Wine etc a lot easier, I installed COD4 this way initially I should add. Should work fine on Centos i believe (dont quote me on that) 

In theory we CAN add proton as a Lutris runner, although I havent had much success. 

Nice to see people outside of me and AlexC want to make COD4X work on Linux though :D

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, wkuzma said:

I could not find the development version of wine to try however I noticed on winehq there is a wine 4.0 I guess I will try to uninstall 3.0 and install 4.0 however I will have to search google since I am completely new to linux and do not know how to do that. (Yet)

I did notice that centos is somewhat different then other flavors of linux since some of the commands posted on google do not work on centos. I picked centos since that is what  my cod4 servers are run on and they are changing.

( We are pleased to offer everyone the opportunity to migrate their legacy EscapedTurkey Game Server onto a Cloud Linux Virtual Machine from GorillaNerd! This means that you will have complete (root) access to a Linux virtual machine and you can not only install any kind of game server you want, any libraries and dependencies you need, but even use the server to run a website, voice chat server or any other service that you please (as long as it has enough resources).To take advantage of this, you need to be familiar with how to use and administrate a Linux server or have a friend or clanmate who can help you out, because you will need to known Linux enough to install your game server and migrate any required files to it. The last day of operation for the legacy Game Server service will be on the 27th of December 2018.)

I have 4 cod4 servers with them that are now shut down until I learn linux and what to do.

Edited by wkuzma

15 minutes ago, wkuzma said:

I could not find the development version of wine to try however I noticed on winehq there is a wine 4.0 I guess I will try to uninstall 3.0 and install 4.0 however I will have to search google since I am completely new to linux and do not know how to do that. (Yet)

I did notice that centos is somewhat different then other flavors of linux since some of the commands posted on google do not work on centos. I picked centos since that is what  my cod4 servers are run on and they are changing.

( We are pleased to offer everyone the opportunity to migrate their legacy EscapedTurkey Game Server onto a Cloud Linux Virtual Machine from GorillaNerd! This means that you will have complete (root) access to a Linux virtual machine and you can not only install any kind of game server you want, any libraries and dependencies you need, but even use the server to run a website, voice chat server or any other service that you please (as long as it has enough resources).To take advantage of this, you need to be familiar with how to use and administrate a Linux server or have a friend or clanmate who can help you out, because you will need to known Linux enough to install your game server and migrate any required files to it. The last day of operation for the legacy Game Server service will be on the 27th of December 2018.)

I have 4 cod4 servers with them that are now shut down until I learn linux and what to do.

Well, we are all happy to help you out here if you need it. 

1 minute ago, Koaja said:

Well, we are all happy to help you out here if you need it. 

Thanks Koaja 

• Like 1

On 1/4/2019 at 3:01 PM, Koaja said:

ok I downloaded wine 4 development and got the same error of no sound

this is what happens during ./configure of both 3.0 and 4.0

configure: WARNING: No sound system was found. Windows applications will be silent.

however when I test the sound in centos it works fine

I corrected the config warning by installing oss-linux-v4.2-2017-i386.tar.bz   now during /configure I do not get the no sound system found error

however in winecfg when I test the audio it does not play sound and cod4 errors because of no sound device found.

Just install Ubuntu 18.04 instead of CentOS 6, first, CentOS 6 is old. Old packages with only security updates. If you want to use as a desktop, you will get hard times. Ubuntu using more recent versions of the packages. Or if you want to try out the bleeding edge Linux world, what makes sense on a desktop PC, you can go with some Arch based distros, like Manjaro, or Antergos. AUR makes lifes waaay more easier. 

4 minutes ago, AlexC said:

Just install Ubuntu 18.04 instead of CentOS 6, first, CentOS 6 is old. Old packages with only security updates. If you want to use as a desktop, you will get hard times. Ubuntu using more recent versions of the packages. Or if you want to try out the bleeding edge Linux world, what makes sense on a desktop PC, you can go with some Arch based distros, like Manjaro, or Antergos. AUR makes lifes waaay more easier. 

He doesnt know linux, lets not push Arch based distros down his throat lol. 

Antergos and Manjaro are user friendly distros, with nice installer, easy to use Arch. You basically doesn't need to touch the command line. 

But first, try Ubuntu, or other variant, because that PC is not a nuclear reactor, so I recommend to you Xubuntu or Lubuntu first. 

Or if you want to something close to CentOS, Fedora is your choice, but do not try normal Fedora, try another desktop environment called "spins". I can recommend XFCE spin, what I'm using at the moment. 

@wkuzma

Any progress? Let us know what you done so far, the easiest way to hit us up our Discord server. 

2 hours ago, AlexC said:

@wkuzma

Any progress? Let us know what you done so far, the easiest way to hit us up our Discord server. 

I found my provider installed centos 7 so I am re-installing 7 on my test computer however I am having a hell of a time getting the internet to work on 7

once I get that working I will see what I can do..

Question how are linux users running cod4 I only have the windows copy of cod4 and want to know what copy I should get is there one that runs on linux without wine?