Sign in to follow this  
Airitech

Hitch Warning on Status

Recommended Posts

Hey guys, just got a new server today, its an old pc that ive converted to a server. Its got 8GB of ram and a i7 2600s running 8 threads and around 3 something GHz with turbo boost enabled and the server is on a SSD Server has a Gigabit Ethernet Connection, download speed of about 200mbps and an upload of about 30 mbps. Shouldint have any issues. 

So when i installed my server, everythings fine its running, i go to install B3 and notice that the server is hitching, i go look at the console and thats exactly whats happening, when somebodys in the server, and B3 or you in game using /rcon status or just typing status in the console, the server hitches and i dont know why. I think its got PLENTY of power considering when i had a VPS with 1 core and a gig of ram the server ran fine, so just wondering whats up and why its doing this, server version is the most recent one off of the home page of the website, ive attached a vid of whats happeneing, with task manager on so you can see. 

EDIT: I have also tried multiple versions, down to 17.7.2, im not sure if auto updating occurs and it just sends it to the newest version. 

Seeing as it may help, heres the server.cfg i use https://pastebin.com/2Z3V03qy

Heres the console log https://pastebin.com/PBS11AnS

By the way, when im off of VPS, and not streaming to it, it still has a hitch warning, but it must be below 500ms because it no longer shows, but you can feel it in the server, so that probably means that it is performance related, but i dont understand how, being on a SSD, AND a i7 2600s. 

Another EDIT: Just threw on a cod waw 1.7 server, status command does nothing, no hitch warning, no lag in game even when i flood the command. 

 

Edited by Airitech

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lets factor out your surroundings first. disable b3 and server plugins and try again. 

 

5 hours ago, Airitech said:

I think its got PLENTY of power

i would assume it to run flawlessly on that hardware too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest RexNworld

@dpj why it not properly run in any  admin bot? everyone need admin bot on there server and b3 is common thing to manage properly a cod server why u cant understand that?

 

@Airitech go to b3.xml and remove status plugins then run your b3 and leave your feedback here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, RexNworld said:

@dpj why it not properly run in any  admin bot? everyone need admin bot on there server and b3 is common thing to manage properly a cod server why u cant understand that?

 

@Airitech go to b3.xml and remove status plugins then run your b3 and leave your feedback here.

Thanks RexNworld  That stopped the slight lag glitch from my b3 on the new server - Yes I also had a slight lag glitch only on the new server coming from b3 when it sent rcon status to the server, but your answer above did stop it. I spend hours looking for the problem without even suspecting the status plugin for b3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RexNworld said:

@dpj why it not properly run in any  admin bot?

i already explained to you that compatibility with b3 isnt something we are offering explicitely. if you want it to work, make it work. 

 

1 hour ago, RexNworld said:

why u cant understand that?

you may fail to understand that we aren't your personal code monkeys. if you want your issues to be resolved, propose a solution and contribute to the project. otherwise i am really done talking to you at this point.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, dpj said:

lets factor out your surroundings first. disable b3 and server plugins and try again. 

The only plugin that was running was b3hide, but disabled b3 and it still does it, still hitching on status. 

2 hours ago, RexNworld said:

@Airitech go to b3.xml and remove status plugins then run your b3 and leave your feedback here.

Yes sir, removed status and it still does status every time somebody joins the server. Just does not randomly status anymore, and still hitching. 

1 hour ago, wkuzma said:

Thanks RexNworld  That stopped the slight lag glitch from my b3 on the new server - Yes I also had a slight lag glitch only on the new server coming from b3 when it sent rcon status to the server, but your answer above did stop it. I spend hours looking for the problem without even suspecting the status plugin for b3.

That's odd, i removed the plugin and it still statuses when somebody joins and it causes a hitch. This is weird. 

 

56 minutes ago, dpj said:

you may fail to understand that we aren't your personal code monkeys. if you want your issues to be resolved, propose a solution and contribute to the project. otherwise i am really done talking to you at this point.

Hey man even tho im not involved, i appreciate you giving me feedback and i know that you dont have to do anything! I appreciate the feedback and hearing it first hand from a dev definitely helps, thanks for everything all of you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RexNworld said:

@dpj why it not properly run in any  admin bot? everyone need admin bot on there server and b3 is common thing to manage properly a cod server why u cant understand that?

Its not the admin bot thats causing it, like the video that i attached, just issuing a status command will cause the server to stutter, b3 issues status commands, but the issue is not caused by b3. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest RexNworld

@Airitech simply drop your qconsole.log and b3.log and b3.xml Here. after that wait for my response :)

NOTE:- Dont Forgot to Remove your rcon password from b3.xml

Edited by RexNworld

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Airitech said:

Its not the admin bot thats causing it, like the video that i attached, just issuing a status command will cause the server to stutter, b3 issues status commands, but the issue is not caused by b3. 

you're right. i missed that you typed the command directly into the commandline. which also excludes rcon itself being the issue in some way. 

just a sidenote, the b3hide plugin is replacing the status command with its own. (not relevant as you said its happening with and without the plugin)
https://github.com/callofduty4x/CoD4x_Server/blob/dev_newarch/plugins/cod4x_b3hide/b3hide.c#L178

there is really not much going on in the status command itself. all i could think of is that printing to console or writing to logs is taking a really long time on your system. if you are familiar with C i would suggest you compile the server and check which calls are stalling too long in the status command.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, dpj said:

there is really not much going on in the status command itself. all i could think of is that printing to console or writing to logs is taking a really long time on your system. if you are familiar with C i would suggest you compile the server and check which calls are stalling too long in the status command.

As far as familiarity with c, i took two semesters of a C++ programming class, and as far as compiling all we did was compile our programs on Code::Blocks lol, as far as compiling the entire server with all the attached c files i would be lost. But, with your information that theres not much going on and that its printing to console and writing logs is the only thing really going on, i can start to look at it from a hardware point of view and see if i cant come up with something, it just doesn't make sense, SSD + 8gb ram + 8 Threads to work with shouldn't have any lag. And a world at war server didn't either. Ill keep messing around with stuff and settings and see if something stupid is causing it, anyway thank you for the help and the info its much appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Airitech said:

As far as familiarity with c, i took two semesters of a C++ programming class, and as far as compiling all we did was compile our programs on Code::Blocks lol, as far as compiling the entire server with all the attached c files i would be lost. But, with your information that theres not much going on and that its printing to console and writing logs is the only thing really going on, i can start to look at it from a hardware point of view and see if i cant come up with something, it just doesn't make sense, SSD + 8gb ram + 8 Threads to work with shouldn't have any lag. And a world at war server didn't either. Ill keep messing around with stuff and settings and see if something stupid is causing it, anyway thank you for the help and the info its much appreciated!

running the attached server you can check out your frametimes

i can observe the same effect on my (windows) pc. only takes that long when players are actually on the 

^5Hitch warning: 5 msec frame time
^5Hitch warning: 44 msec frame time
^5Hitch warning: 4 msec frame time
^5Hitch warning: 16 msec frame time
^5Hitch warning: 5 msec frame time
^5Hitch warning: 22 msec frame time
map: mp_killhouse
num score ping guid                             name            lastmsg address                                              qport rate
--- ----- ---- -------------------------------- --------------- ------- ---------------------------------------------------- ----- -----
  0     0   34 000000000000000                  test       50 127.0.0.1:28960                                      41181 1048576

^5Hitch warning: 804 msec frame time
^5Hitch warning: 70 msec frame time
^5Hitch warning: 4 msec frame time
^5Hitch warning: 21 msec frame time
^5Hitch warning: 14 msec frame time
^5Hitch warning: 48 msec frame time

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

printing to the used console window is extremely slow. that's a windows specific issue in this case.

the slow call:
https://github.com/callofduty4x/CoD4x_Server/blob/dev_newarch/src/win32/win_syscon.c#L574

the printed strings should be first aggregated into a buffer and the be printed to the console in one call:
https://github.com/callofduty4x/CoD4x_Server/blob/dev_newarch/src/sv_cmds.c#L657

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

btw ... when the server console ui is minimized the delay is actually alot lower. still not good, but lower.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, dpj said:

printing to the used console window is extremely slow. that's a windows specific issue in this case.

i see, i know id be better off running a linux distro on my server but for other things and my familiarity with windows it just makes it easier, you have no idea how much i appreciate you looking into this issue, thank you so much! One thing i may be able to add is that, i used to run a cod4x server, to be exact when i had rented a VPS it was July 2017, and this issue did not exist, now it could either be two things, It was running Windows Server 2012 R2, or a previous version of the cod4x server did not have this issue, what are your thoughts on this? Would the fact that i am running Windows 10 pro 64 bit be a problem? Or do you think that shouldint matter?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Airitech said:

i see, i know id be better off running a linux distro on my server but for other things and my familiarity with windows it just makes it easier, you have no idea how much i appreciate you looking into this issue, thank you so much! One thing i may be able to add is that, i used to run a cod4x server, to be exact when i had rented a VPS it was July 2017, and this issue did not exist, now it could either be two things, It was running Windows Server 2012 R2, or a previous version of the cod4x server did not have this issue, what are your thoughts on this? Would the fact that i am running Windows 10 pro 64 bit be a problem? Or do you think that shouldint matter?

maybe the issue was just not noticeable back then. did you use cod4x or the official server binary back then? might be that the offical server has this implemented differently / more efficiently. do you remember what server version you had been using? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Airitech

 

Specifically the issue was caused by redrawing the window for every single print. I think that's now solved elegantly by disabling drawing of the text field while the "status" command is printing text. fix is committed. 

https://github.com/callofduty4x/CoD4x_Server/commit/7538146f566799c70fb98e27dee1ef32d2bbb710

server binary: https://mega.nz/#!W8JXmQJB!fPAeAnadah8TIrdL9KTf2w0aa38FvMy1hLe8gHbc4Xw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, dpj said:

Specifically the issue was caused by redrawing the window for every single print. I think that's now solved elegantly by disabling drawing of the text field while the "status" command is printing text. fix is committed. 

Yup, i just checked using the new binary and now its working flawlessly. I really don't know what to say, thank you so much for taking the time to look into this issue and fixing it, you have no idea how much I appreciate it!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Airitech said:

Yup, i just checked using the new binary and now its working flawlessly. I really don't know what to say, thank you so much for taking the time to look into this issue and fixing it, you have no idea how much I appreciate it!

you did what you could to analyze the problem, and so did i. happy to help, have fun with your server :) 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Airitech said:

Yup, i just checked using the new binary and now its working flawlessly. I really don't know what to say, thank you so much for taking the time to look into this issue and fixing it, you have no idea how much I appreciate it!

just a simple question - will this fix be in the next update? Reason I ask is if the server does update I hate to see this fix over written.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, wkuzma said:

just a simple question - will this fix be in the next update? Reason I ask is if the server does update I hate to see this fix over written.

yes, it's here to stay.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest RexNworld
11 hours ago, dpj said:

@Airitech

 

Specifically the issue was caused by redrawing the window for every single print. I think that's now solved elegantly by disabling drawing of the text field while the "status" command is printing text. fix is committed. 

https://github.com/callofduty4x/CoD4x_Server/commit/7538146f566799c70fb98e27dee1ef32d2bbb710

server binary: https://mega.nz/#!W8JXmQJB!fPAeAnadah8TIrdL9KTf2w0aa38FvMy1hLe8gHbc4Xw

thats great 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, leiizko said:

Apparently my fault this is happening. That commit is not a fix.

¿Qué pasa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this