NitroFire

Invisible Player Bug

So I am aware that this, maybe isn't the best place to put this kind of post, but I am having an issue, where when I load my custom Deathrun map onto my server, I cannot see any other players. Other maps work fine, it's just my map. I cannot see them in the map, or endrooms, but for some reason I can see them in the Activator area. Doesn't seem to make any sense whatsoever. I've tried to put everything into 1 skybox, and  I've also redone the lights and reflection probes, kind of at a loss at this point, no clue how to fix this. Any ideas you may have would be appreciated, as I would not like to have to restart my map, as I'm very close to finished with it.

Are the players using a custom model?

It could be that it's polycount (quality) is to high, then the game starts to hide them when to much of them are in your field of view.

A little video of your situation could help us to see what's going on.

https://youtu.be/iI8ZLFx2O_U

Hopefully that shows what I mean. I ran the dedicated server, and joined with multiple clients, couldn't see each other, and it's like that throughout the entire map. I have no custom characters / playermodels, and I'm 110% sure that it isn't caused by a script error, only because I commented out the entire script, and recompiled the .ff, still can't see anyone lol. I've asked around a bit, and some people believe that it had something to do with multiple skyboxes, so I tried to put everything into one skybox, still nothing. Also, don't mind the missing textures lol, A friend and I are working on this together, and he has the decals that are missing, and we couldn't see each other on the map, even with fixed textures, so that isn't it either. Not really sure what to do from here lol, it literally makes zero sense. Hopefully you can figure something out, because it feels like I've tried everything.

To me it looks like there is a script which is using the hide() function on player.

I have seen some codjumper server doing this.

Are your players still invisible when you start the map without a mod (you might have to add regular spawns in order to do that)?

Well, I haven't tried loading it without a mod, except to build the light grid lol, but like I said, I commented out my entire script, and recompiled the .ff, so it wouldn't make much sense if it were a script error, more likely to be something with the map itself. I also haven't used player hide();, or self hide(); anywhere in the script.

Edited by NitroFire

Nevermind the issue lmao, Sheep Wizard came in clutch, fixed the issue. Apparently what happened, is the map was spaced too far apart, so I just had to move everything closer, since the player origin's max value, was smaller than the spacing of the map, which caused everyone to be invisible.

Bullshit. CoD4 stores origin in 3 floats, even not integers. You can google it's limits if you want but it way more than 32k. I'll get this explanation only if someone will post code snippet where this 32k check located.

https://github.com/D4edalus/CoD4x_Server/blob/master/src/msg.c#L1762

Here's your 16 bit limit. It is indeed stored (server-side) as a float, and converted back (client-side) to a float, but in the message it is being sent as a 16 bit int (times 3, cause xyz).

IW tried to do a bit of hacking around with it by using a mapcenter, off of which all coordinates are based, giving mappers a tiny bit more leverage over the system, but ultimately players still are bound to a 65k by 65k by 65k unit box with a center wherever.

Edit: Actual trimming occurs here, serverside: https://github.com/D4edalus/CoD4x_Server/blob/master/src/msg.c#L1889

Ninja has tried in the past to work around it, but the serverside killcam had some stuff so hardcoded in it that his patches crashed servers with killcam enabled, and they had to be pulled. He (seemed to) have given up on it, as the hard coded part is quite deep and quite involving, but it can be tracked down (I know cause I've found the part in the killcam too. Just didn't save it anywhere)

Edited by IzNoGoD

If you want to work on this I'd gladly help. It's also for my benefit, as the disappearing players bug is annoying the crap out of me.