Phantasy

Mod.ff

You can't. You have to edit the source code (.gsc files) directly, and compile it into a mod.ff. I do believe you can open mod.ff using 3rd party tools, but you will still have to compile the edited version into a new .ff file.

Honestly if you're asking this, you probably won't know how to program either, so you won't have any luck trying it.

no you dont need to use the mod tools or recompile a mod to .. erm .. lets call it mod a mod :D

you can just extract gsc files from the mod.ff and put it into main_shared or some other loading locations. the gsc file inside the mod then gets overridden and you can change the behaviour of the mod without much hassle.

one popular tool to extract fastfiles (.ff files) would be tom crowleys ff extractor http://tom-crowley.co.uk/fastfile-exporter/

Well for a regular mod, most of the time it requires changes on the client-side as well, in which case you do need to compile it into a new mod.ff, so it can be distributed to the clients upon joining the server.

On 9/18/2016 at 3:58 PM, PureTryOut said:

Well for a regular mod, most of the time it requires changes on the client-side as well, in which case you do need to compile it into a new mod.ff, so it can be distributed to the clients upon joining the server.

So is there a way to recompile the files to mod.ff format please? 

Or just keep the extracted files inside the `main_shared` folder?

Which scripts doesn't need on the client side for running, yes, you can keep on main_shared folder in .gsx extension.

5 hours ago, return 0 said:

So is there a way to recompile the files to mod.ff format please? 

Or just keep the extracted files inside the `main_shared` folder?

yes, you can directly edit gsc files in ff archives with https://www.codeleakers.com/showthread.php?49324-FF-Viewer-3-0
but that's pretty crappy because you can't go over the initial code length.

the better way to edit stock gsc script AND gsc script inside mods is described here: https://github.com/callofduty4x/CoD4x_Server/blob/master/scriptdocumentation/ScriptingGuide.md
(you can extract the original gsc file first with the ffviewer, copy its contents and create a clone of it in main_shared)
there is really no use for repacking the scripts into an .ff file again

On 7/18/2017 at 10:22 PM, D4edalus said:

yes, you can directly edit gsc files in ff archives with https://www.codeleakers.com/showthread.php?49324-FF-Viewer-3-0
but that's pretty crappy because you can't go over the initial code length.

the better way to edit stock gsc script AND gsc script inside mods is described here: https://github.com/callofduty4x/CoD4x_Server/blob/master/scriptdocumentation/ScriptingGuide.md
(you can extract the original gsc file first with the ffviewer, copy its contents and create a clone of it in main_shared)
there is really no use for repacking the scripts into an .ff file again

I have edited the files inside the mod.ff using above viewer and so far it has done a pretty decent work. No errors have thrown from the server. But if i want to further develop the mod then I shall extract everything inside that to main_shared and edit as I need or as you suggested start from the scratch to make it to accommodate my needs?

On 7/18/2017 at 9:06 PM, AlexC said:

Which scripts doesn't need on the client side for running, yes, you can keep on main_shared folder in .gsx extension.

the files are in .gsc and menu extensions. I can recall I read somewhere in the forum .gsx is the newest supported extension of the server but it supports .gsc too.

1 hour ago, return 0 said:

the files are in .gsc and menu extensions. I can recall I read somewhere in the forum .gsx is the newest supported extension of the server but it supports .gsc too.

gsx was introduced as a compatibility format to create fallback code for 1.7 (gsc) and 1.7a (gsx). however, if you name your files just .gsc inside your main_shared they still get overwritten. so either extension will be fine for you.

if you also want to edit the menu files you will probably have a hard time, because those need to actually be repacked inside mod.ff. there is a menu file extractor available, but to build the mod i fear you will need all source files of the mod. as i've never built a mod from scratch i cant give much advice on that.